Friday, February 5, 2010

What???

This week all of the kids had SEP (parent teacher) conferences. It is always fun to hear the nice things said about the kids. I walked away from the boys conferences thinking isn't nice to have good kids that do well in school. Then I started worrying about what we would hear when Ashlyn goes to elementary. Not that she isn't a good student and a sweet girl she is just so LOUD. So this is what I was thinking when I went into her preschool parent teacher yesterday. Her teacher told me how much she is going to miss Ashlyn and her group of friends next year. She said they are sweet and are befriending a little girl that is so much different than all of them. I felt proud but questioned that a little. I have seen her be mean when she doesn't want to include someone. Ashlyn can be a little bossy. I thought well maybe she is growing up a little and it made me feel better about her playground interactions next year. Moving on with the conference, she said she is doing well in school. Great! Then the shocker. She said "My only concern for Ashlyn is that she is so quiet that she might get ignored by her Kindergarten teacher. She needs a good teacher who will pay attention to her even though she always quietly obeys." WHAT???? I have never heard the word quiet used when describing Ashlyn. She sings all day long at the top of her lungs. She has loud conversations with her Barbies when she plays alone. She likes to run and scream with her friends. She is always loud. Not just chatty loud but actually hurt your ears loud. I have learned to tune her out most of the time but when other adults are around they always comment with a "wow". I would think that her teacher had the wrong girl but Miss Julie is in our ward and knows Ashlyn pretty well. I have always felt it was so strange how our kids behave so differently at school than at home. Connor is a chatterbox at home but very quiet in school. I can understand that because Connor doesn't like confrontation. He is well behaved because he doesn't want to get in trouble. Logan is more focused at school than at home. He really likes school and wants to do well so he keeps on task without becoming distracted. I never thought Ashlyn would be able to control her noise level. I thought she was missing that knob. I guess I can now look forward to Ashlyns future SEPs. I am so proud of all the kids. They are great students and great kids.

No comments: